Friday, January 2, 2015

A Great Gastby Year

The year of 2014 was all very exciting and turbulent. One of the many things I challenged myself to do was look long and hard at "The Great Gatsby." It began at the New Year with curiosity over the Gatsby parties.

Intrigued by, not only the then recent release of the movie, but also of the grandeur of the story. I read the book. I carefully followed the easy flow and roll of Fitzgerald's words as they sank, soaked into my heart.

Following along with the development of the book, over time, I watched the Robert Redford version of the movie. Then, I visited the F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald museum and fell farther for their story. I began to see both F. Scott and Zelda differently. I have noticed that great works of literature are oftentimes misrepresented, if not completely misunderstood. That is a terrible shame, writers write because they have something to say, they spend months or years examining their creation, sometimes to say the truest of words and express the biggest ideas of the world.

I have a true appreciation for the craft and hope I can produce a work as beautiful.
 
Bless Zelda, she was a true gem. I have the sincerest of intentions to read some of her writings in this 2015 year.

But, to get back to the story, I did also watch the 2013 film based on the book. It was amazing. I loved it, and hated it, and it made me believe in the ability to create a story so full of romanticism and truths, real enduring characters, and to have it be appreciated.

Fitzgerald's obituary described him as epitomizing the "sad young men" of that time and that, "The promise of his brilliant career was never fulfilled." http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/bday/0924.html

I have to disagree. "The Great Gatsby" did receive critical acclaim when it was published in 1925, but to create a work that is timeless, that can be enjoyed and loved dearly 90 years later is actually; the epitome of a writer's dream career.

This New Year's Eve, I did attend one of those Great Gatsby parties, with the understanding necessary to live in that world, with the ability to step into the book and dance as if I was alongside Gatsby in the less fashionable West Egg, thus concluding my year of Gatsby, 2014.

Sincerely,
Jamie Godwin Brooks



Here's a few pictures; they kind-of go along with the experience.

Reading "The Great Gatsby" poolside.

Exploring the Fitzgerald's home in Montgomery, AL.


The Great Gatsby New Year's Eve Ball

No comments:

Post a Comment