Monday, March 9, 2015

The Rain And New Beginnings




I sit here surrounded by the quiet taps of the falling rain. This is the second night of my before-Spring break and it has rained both nights. We are camping at Buck's Pocket again to work on my near by gas-station. The gas station had been sitting unused for 7 or 8 years until I purchased it last year with some money I had tied up in investments and my recent book sales. I guess the store is an investment but of a different sort. I am investing in the future; not only my future, but the future of my small home town.

When the store opens this summer, it will be a whole new beginning. My Dad once told me that the best job he ever had was one he bought himself; meaning when he became his own boss. I think there must be some truth to that. Today I was more excited than one would normally be to see a new toilet installed. With every small step in finishing the store, my vision for it becomes more real.  

I also have a new book in its infancy. I have begun the work with a plot outline; helping me to develop the story.  It is an original take on a romance novel.  I am an admitted hopeless romantic and am looking forward to this new begininning as well. 

I imagine in a few months time, I will be sitting in my gas-station/bait shop, talking with folks and writing a romance novel. I will take the time to visit the lake and do plenty of fishing and swimming. I may even take up water-skiing again. Sounds like fun, doesn’t it? When I first had the idea, I said to myself that it was like I wanted to retire. When people retire, they usually find something to occupy their time with like running a bait shop or writing that book like they always wanted. I just said, “Why wait?” If I want to retire at 32, I think I should be able to. haha.

 
Jamie Godwin Brooks

 


No comments:

Post a Comment